The dreams of Eldon Tyrell may seem like an odd place to start for Reasons to be Cheerful, but with IBM’s new brain inspired computer we are taking another step toward greater understanding one of nature’s true wonders, the human brain. I’m not looking to get into deep debates about the nature of consciousness and the soul (though there are plenty of articles out there discussing the subject), it’s more just sitting back and going “wow”. Especially when this weekend saw successful surgery performed on a still beating heart.
Everyday we hear about stuff we would have one thought miraculous becoming common place, and amazing people reminding us that impossible is nothing.So here come my little nuggets of joy, what’s inspired you today?
- Pioneering operation on a still beating heart performed in the UK
- New Brain inspired computer from IBM
- EU & Canada agree free-trade deal
- NI Teacher Job scheme going well
- Grangemouth deal response positive
- Bank of Scotland reports rising pay for new recruits
- Glasgow Burrell Collection celebrates 30th anniversary
- Disabled adventurer takes on scuba diving
- Sykes wins World Superbike Championship
- Burton wins European Open Gold
- 2nd Euro Track Gold for Trott