#R2BC Monday’s #GoodNews
Okay, I’m a little late today, as I’ve had to do some hard thinking about whether or not to post the video above (WARNING! NSFW as a bit sweary but funny as all hell) and the subject it addresses. As a rule of thumb, I tend to avoid writing about politics on Reasons2BCheerful. Key reason being that the subject is, often, far to emotive with positives and negatives being reliant on a particular point of view. However, with Thursday’s, EU Referendum, vote coming up fast, I want to encourage everyone, not only to vote but to think carefully how you vote.
The debate has been incredibly toxic in the UK and split many friendships. So before you vote, take some time to think WHY; look at the reasons and make sure you’ve got your facts right. I am not going to tell you who to vote for, but double check your facts.
Useful sites include:
Channel 4 News’ Fact Check Blog
The BBC’s Reality Check: Fact Check Site
Radio 4’s More or Less Statistics Show
Alternatively, I’d recommend ignoring most of the UK Print Press because of the amount of vitriol, false information and vested interests and have a look at some press who are likely to be more balanced in their reporting:
The New York Times
Or, my personal favourite, HBO Satirist John Oliver (The YouTube Video above).
On my list of great things coming from love and tolerance also include the ‘Angels’ in Orlando protecting against protesters from Westboro Baptist Church and Lebanese Micro Gardening.
- ‘Angels’ Protect Orlando Funeral from Westboro Protesters
- Solar Impulse sets off Across the Atlantic
- Rome elects its 1st Female Mayor
- China Builds World’s Most Powerful Computer
- Portable Ultrasound Scanner & New Software could dramatically improve the detection of Brain Injuries away from Hospitals
- Bomb Plot in Tehran Foiled
- Major Expansion plan for Science Park in Northern Ireland
- Recorded Crime Figures falling in Scotland
- 64-Year-Old Completes 95 Mile Ultramarathon
- 3D Research hopes to provide better understanding of Cancer & Stem Cells
- 12-Year-Old who took Ecstasy to Leave Hospital
- Senegalese Woman who teaches Braille for Free
- Charity helping Refugees take up Micro Gardening in Lebanon
- Missing Cat found after 3 Years
- Belgian Cat who went missing in High Wycombe reunited with Owners
- England take Historic Series win in Australia
- England’s Saxons Whitewash South Africa A
- Murray wins 5th Queen’s Title